Tuesday, March 17, 2009

So hey guys,
In case you didn’t know this about me, I really really suck at taking pictures. Like there was a 3 month period where I got really obsessed with documenting life in Templeton before I left it and it kind of carried over into freshman year of college… But these days I just sort of fail to photodocument. But here are some pictures of Mexico things that I have taken.
1) Tule. This tree is 2,000 years old!





2) Fireworks! These things put American ones to shame…







3) Graffiti. This is actually just a small sample—the street Marina and I walk down coming home from our favorite café. We took these pictures randomly one night and the next day a lot of it was cleaned up. But it will be back. There is “Palestina libre” everywhere, and I walk by an “apoya a Grecia (help Greece) and an anti-police brutality message everyday. One night we found ‘turn off tv, turn off your mind.’ Of course there is normal graffiti all over the place too, but I really, really like that it is a viable form of political expression not just an eyesore. And then there are flyers and things that are just cool to look at.








This week we had 2 days of class (starting early—8:00 am, gag!) and then we are off to another fiesta tomorrow! I am hoping to be a lot more cheerful for this one, and am on a quest for bottled coffee (it totally exists here but the market by my house has been out for a week. Tragic!). After that it is Spring Break! Ashley, Abby, Olivia, and I have hotel reservations in Puerto Escondido and I am looking forward to just relaxing. Lately school has been extremely stressful and I’ve been feeling frustrated with my Spanish. It will be really nice to chill on the beach and chat instead of trying to convey complex social/cultural/historical concepts in a foreign language.
Does anyone want to talk Grad School (dun dun dun!)? I have a really bad habit of dwelling on future things instead of just enjoying the here/now (hello, Mexico!) and life after graduation has been on my mind a lot. In Oaxaca I have met people who have been all over, seen and done so many cool things… It is really inspiring and intimidating! Like my Indian friend from a week ago—I am pretty sure he has lived in more places than I have visited. And while part of me just wants to curl up in some cob dwelling in the countryside, the idea of continuing my education (and maybe doing so somewhere exciting) has been sounding really, really appealing.

3 comments:

  1. I loved the firework photos--they are great. And the graffiti is pretty interesting, too. But--the tree is really amazing. A 2000-year-old living organism is really something to ponder. I hope to see it myself some day.
    Thanks for posting the photos. Take some pictures at the beach so you can post them when you get back. And have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those fireworks are awesome!
    Do you know what you'd want to study in grad school? I've heard a lot of people say that if you don't go into grad school knowing EXACTLY what you want to get out of it, it's a huge waste. Have you looked into the Semester at Sea? I don't know if they do post-bac stuff, but it might be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well i think your photos are fab. esp the fireworks. jealous! miss you <3

    ReplyDelete