Sunday, March 1, 2009

CUMPLEANOSSSS

So dude, I just turned 21 in Mexico!

(and at this point I should probably apologize to any parents reading this for writing about their baby in a bar)

Anyway, we celebrated last night because Sunday is official Do Homework Until Your Eyes Bleed day here in Mexico-land. So after a busy Saturday of poking at journal entries and wandering the market-y streets looking for movies, I met up with most of my group and went to an OMG vegetarian restaurant. Fake soy meat? Sooo much better than the real thing.

From there we were trying to go to a really good salsa club locals kept telling us about. But when we followed the directions we discovered that the road it was on was completely dug up (like a 3 foot ditch—they’re doing lots of road repairs here). We sort of wandered nearby where there were lots of bars, and eenie meenie minie moed our way into one. Immediately they sort of shunted us into the corner, and it wasn’t really the best place. Dark and loud bad music and only couples dancing. I don’t even know what it was called, but I don’t think I’ll be back. Some of us tried to have fun with it, but other, unnamed, people were kind of sulky.

The four sulkiest left for home around midnight and the rest of us went to BAR CENTRAL!!! We have heard sooo many raves about this place, but when we went in last week it was pretty dead. Last night, however, proved that it really is AMAZING! There was really good, really alternative music, lots of people dancing, lots of craziness. Us four girls (Marina, Abby, Ashley, and myself) kind of made a little huddle of ourselves around Beau to ward off any sketchier men, and started grooving to, among other things, that really awesome song from Triplet’s of Belleville. Towards the end of the evening we got danced with by locals. Marina, lucky girl, got a guapo one the first time round, but Abby and I got glommed by a creeper. It got so we were dancing together and completely blocking him out before he took the hint. Then I met my new novio. I am pretty sure he is amigos with Marina’s guapo friend, and I couldn’t really understand his name, but he was a “súper” dancer and very very guapo. Maybe someday we will meet him and his friend again.

My 21 total was 3 shots of tequila and 2 beers by the time we left at like 2:30. The moment that best sums up this birthday is walking into Bar Central, posing near the bar with Abby and Ashley for a picture, and when my eyes cleared from the flash I finding myself smiling at a rather buzzed looking assistant director of the Instituto. Oh México! We will always be so awkward here!

Cafés close early on Sundays, so coming soon: Cuevas, Graffiti, eating la carne, y the mystery of the disappearing angels. Or something like that. Maybe even pictures from last night?

2 comments:

  1. Well, all I can say is that even babies grow up. Sounds like fun times in Mexico! I look forward to pictures and more blogs--I am especially intrigued by the disappearing angels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOU!!! Happy birthday, it sounds so fun! yay for guapo, ( i love you like a handsome kid loves cake!)

    ReplyDelete